Sunday, September 18, 2011

Tired, But Hopeful

I have been giving some thought to my lack of interest and almost apathy in current events lately. It can be very discouraging. Our country is in trouble. Politicians don't understand (or don't care about) the Constitution or good economics. Christians are wandering from their biblical base or doing things inconsistent with their faith and the world inevitably sees and wonders, rightfully, about "those Christians." It is so easy to see the very profound fallenness of our world and get bogged down in that. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Because of my teaching, I am forcing myself to pay more attention to current events and try to process the issues, as complicated and discouraging as that may be. The kids want to know, and my calling right now is to try to help them understand.

BUT:

"For I know that my Redeemer lives,
and at the last he will stand upon the earth.
And after my skin has been thus destroyed,
yet in my flesh I shall see God,
whom I shall see for myself,
and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
My heart faints within me!" (Job 19:25-27)

"I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

Only in Christ do we find real hope and change. There are no easy answers, and there are many things we may never fully know or understand here and now. It gives us more proof that we are made with a desire for more than this life, and we feel it whether we recognize that or not. But in spite of all that is wrong with the world, there is encouragement to be found even in the day-to-day:
-the sun rises and sets each day
-a great sermon this morning at church
-good friends and fellowship
-excellent, thinking kids willing and loving to learn both at church and in class
-people who will tell it like it is to Congress, and maybe a few who will listen.
And that's just a few for today.

But best of all is the knowledge that all is in the hands of our all-wise, all-knowing and Provident God, and he isn't finished with us yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment