Friday, August 17, 2012

Experiment: Crock-pot Banana Bread

I usually buy the huge bunches of bananas at Wal-mart because they're so much cheaper than the grocery store.  We often can't eat through all 3 pounds before they go bad, so any that are getting too brown go into the freezer completely intact for future baking.  I had accumulated a few and wanted to clear them out, plus I needed some baking for the weekend, so I decided to make banana bread.  However it's still summer and I am still refusing to run the oven.  I thought of using the bread machine, but when I realized the instruction booklet didn't include a recipe I decided to leave that to figure out another day.  That left the crock-pot and I actually did have a recipe for that.

The following is my adaptation of the Banana Nut Bread recipe from Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes. I had 4 bananas, so I basically multiplied the recipe by 1 1/2.  I think plain banana bread is boring, so I always add extra spices.  The original recipe had no flavoring besides the bananas and dark corn syrup (I subbed molasses).  I also used part whole wheat flour and canola oil instead of butter.  The original recipe, including original amounts, is in parentheses.

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour (1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour)
1 1/8 c. whole wheat
3 tsp baking powder (2 tsp baking powder)
3/4 tsp salt  (1/2 tsp salt)
3/8 tsp baking soda (1/4 tsp baking soda)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp ground cloves 
*Whisk together the dry ingredients.

1/2 c. canola oil  (1/3 c. butter or margarine)
1 c. sugar  (2/3 c. sugar)
3 eggs  (2 eggs)
3 T molasses  (2 T dark corn syrup)
about 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 bananas, mashed  (3 bananas)
*Combine the above.  Add dry ingredients.  Then add:
1/2 c. or so chopped walnuts (1/2 c. chopped walnuts)

*Grease and flour the crock-pot.  I used my little 4 quart upright one (which seems to run a little hot?).  Pour in batter and cook on HIGH.  The recipe says 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, however mine needed 2 hours as there was more batter and it was thicker.  When a knife comes out clean turn it off and let it cool before turning out onto a plate.  I ran a knife around the edge and it slid right out.

*All my amounts are approximate.

*Nifty Trick: Before pouring the molasses into your tablespoon spray it with cooking spray.  It'll slide right off into the bowl. How cool is that?

I did let my bread sit a while in the base of the crock-pot before taking the crock out, and I think that made it dry out just a little.  Plus it was slightly burnt on some edges.  Again, I think if I hadn't made such a big loaf that probably wouldn't have been an issue.  Still, it turned out very well and it didn't heat the house up much.  I'd say that means success.

2 comments:

  1. oooh, fun! I'll have to try this. I also want to try canning bread--that would be handy to do in the winter and eat in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never heard of canning bread. But I have heard of Boston brown bread which comes in a can, so I guess that's a no-brainer;)

    ReplyDelete