Saturday, August 11, 2012

Recipes to make soon


We had an unsatisfactory new meal for supper last night, plus brown rice.  When I eat rice I'm hungry again within an hour.  So I threw together these No-Bake Energy Bites.  They're very good, but they don't taste like no-bake cookies as descriptions on Pinterest said.  They would need cocoa powder for that.  I wish I had looked back at a list I'd made before the trip of recipes I wanted to try soon, because if I had I would have found Chocolate Protein Truffles.  This might have been even better.  Oh well, next time.  Everybody calls this type of recipe healthy.  I'm not really sure it's that.  There's still a lot of fat (even if it is peanut butter) and some sugar (I'm unconvinced that honey is any healthier than regular sugar).  But still, they're good and they could be a lot worse for you.

I found a bag of barley on the Safeway clearance shelf for cheap and wanted to make a salad.  A quick search found Corn-Avocado Salad with Black Beans and Barley, which was exactly what I wanted.  With a few substitutions I can make it right now (canned corn, canned black beans, no avocado, no tomatoes, lime and lemon juice instead of orange).  I love this kind of salad and it's perfect to keep in the fridge for quick lunches all week.      

*EDIT: This is delicious. I really like salad made with a vinaigrette.  All my pasta salads are made like this (who wants mayo in a pasta salad?  ...plus the egg-allergy niece can eat it), as is the black bean and corn salad I like to make.  I like how the barley holds up in the salad too.  I've made quinoa salad and it all kind of mushes together. It might need a little more seasoning, depending on taste. I will caution you, however.  When you go for the cayenne to add just a sprinkle to jazz it up a little, make sure the sprinkle top is ON the cayenne.  Otherwise you'll end up digging as much extra out as you can, then eating very spicy salad all week. Ahem.* 

I also ran across this recipe for Blueberry Oat Pancakes with Maple Yogurt.  I want to make this one right now too.  Maybe tomorrow I'll make a double batch for breakfasts this week. 

*EDIT: Sickness intervened and I haven't made any breakfasts for the week.  Yogurt and the Energy Bites will have to do for now.  So this one is still on my list of recipes to make.*

I had also been thinking of making Protein Filled Pancakes (maybe in the waffle iron?) before our trip.  Sometime soon I'll try that one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment