Monday, April 2, 2012

Country Grits and Sausage Casserole

I made this for a gathering of a few friends on Saturday, and some requested that I share the recipe. Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law for sharing it with me!

2 c. water
1/2 c. quick grits, uncooked
3 1/2 c. shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c. milk
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 pound sausage, cooked, crumbled and drained

Bring water to a boil and stir in grits. Return to boil, reduce heat to low, and cook 4 minutes stirring occasionally. Add cheese and stir until melted (of course it looks and tastes delicious at this stage...I love cheese grits).

Combine eggs, milk, thyme, and garlic powder and stir well. Gradually stir in 1/4 c. hot grits mixture, stirring constantly, to temper the eggs. Add to remaining grits mixture, still stirring. Stir in sausage.

Pour into lightly greased 11 by 7 baking dish. Cover and refrigerate if needed. To serve immediately, bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until set. Garnish with tomato wedges and parsley sprigs, if desired. Makes 6-8 servings.

I reduced both the cheese and the sausage a little, because of the amounts I had, and I didn't think the final product was missing anything. I also used 2% milk cheese and skim milk. This is a great, hearty breakfast (or other meal?) casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment